Digital Space Map

While I had never heard of David White's theory on Visitors and Residents until this week, it certainly made complete sense to me. According to White, "Visitors" are those who use applications of the internet from time to time for various reasons, while "Residents" use them on a regular basis. As well, he identifies the sources used as being for either personal or professional purposes.

Made in Google Drawings; Images from Google Images

As you can perhaps tell, almost all of my apps are for personal use, while of the ones that could be considered "professional," only two of them can be considered completely as such while the other three may be used for both. For example, Twitter is considered a "social" app and while I do indeed use it as such periodically, lately I mostly make use of it for professional purposes, usually academic. I do, however, seem to have an even balance of apps I visit and reside in. While I may look at Instagram every hour, for instance, I only look at TikTok once an a while, and I only look at my friends' posts there.

On another note, I must say that creating this map has caused me to somewhat reevaluate what I'm currently using on the internet for all purposes. Some of them, especially in the visitor category, I had largely forgotten about until now. Now, however, I think it may be a good idea to decide what I really do need (and use) and what I don't, something which may be tricky because while at one moment you feel as though you need them, another you may not and vise versa!

Image Source: Giphy

Comments

  1. Spencer, I relate to you in not having many professional apps in comparison to personal. We are still at the beginning of our careers, so hopefully we can both find digital spaces to help us grow professionally! Also, if you have an iPhone, there is an offload unused apps option, which can help with those erasing those forgotten apps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that if they were 'forgotten' platforms that you added them to your map.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health and Social Media