My SAMR

I am almost 25 years old, and naturally the traits and characteristics I have possessed as an individual have evolved over the years. One characteristic that hasn't really changed, however, is the fact that I take my time learning certain things, especially things pertaining to professional and social development. Technology is no different for me. While I'm usually able to get the hang of things in that regard ultimately, it's hardly infrequent that it takes a certain amount of time for me to reach that.

The SAMR model introduced by Dr. Ruben Puentedura is an abbreviation for a four-step process of technology integration. It begins with substitution, meaning that a form of technology serves as a substitute for certain activities, followed by augmentation, or the application of additional features in the tech while otherwise remaining the same. Those first two steps are considered part of the "enhancement" phase. Next comes the "transformation" phase, which begins with modification, or upgrading to more advanced systems, and finally redefinition, or being able to now do things which weren't possible previously.

Image Source: Kathy Schrock (2013)
   
I feel as though the SAMR model is such a prudent means to describe technology integration on personal and professional levels, both for myself and others. In both my current and previous library occupations, I've never had to make much use of tech, but there have been plenty of other occasions where I needed to. For example, I interned with the Chicago History Museum one summer in digital archiving, and was introduced to different data platforms including Box and Airtable.

Most of the time I seem to have been confined to the enhancement phase because most of the settings I've been in were basically introductory, meaning I'd learn the basic functions of the platforms introduced but wouldn't go much further given the limited time spent. So basically I currently spend most of my time in the augmentation stage. I would certainly like there to be extended opportunities for me to expand into the transformation phase, particularly in settings where I could use the systems I already have some experience with while learning how to modify and redefine my activities with them. I would especially like to continue exploring a career in a museum.


Further Information:

Stephens, Jaclyn. “Erasing the Line: Samr Model.” Jaclyn b. Stevens, Aug. 2020, www.jaclynbstevens.com/erasing-the-line--samr-model.html.

Terada, Y. (2020, May 4). A powerful model for understanding good tech integration. Edutopia.                     https://www.edutopia.org/article/powerful-model-understanding-good-tech-integration.

Comments

  1. Hi Spencer, I enjoyed reading about your journey of evaluation through the SAMR model. I too, am definitely stuck in the Substitution and Augmentation stage of technology integration. Continuing your career in a museum would be a great outfit for going into the Modification and Redefinition stages, especially with 3D tours and Virtual Field Trips on the rise. Being able to put the museum's and library's information and collection on a digital platform would be a great way to get you where you want to go with technology integration in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spencer, I really liked the image you used to help visualize SAMR. Different "coffees" are right for different situations, just like different levels of technology integration are right for different tasks. Moving into the transformative stages can be difficult, but there is so much potential for creating better learning experiences for yourself and others.
    Here's a paper I found about SAMR being used at the Shedd Aquarium that I thought might be an informative (and relatable) read!
    https://mw17.mwconf.org/paper/samr-a-model-for-technology-integration-in-museums/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Spencer,

    Your image is so cool!

    You describe a very real situation that most teachers face as well when it comes to advancing through this model. We are often given 30 minutes to an hours worth of training in a new program or software and expected to incorporate it into the classroom. This often keeps the teacher at the substitution level until they can figure everything out. Sometimes, by the time they do, the program or tool is obsolete.

    Thanks for sharing this post. Its refreshing to read your take on this model. I have trained my brain to believe that in order to be truly effective you have to reach the redefinition stage every time. In our push for excellence, its easy to forget that less can be more effective in proper situations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Spencer, great post! I agree that often times we don't have enough time to fully acquaint ourselves with a technology in order to use it to the best of its ability. Getting to that Redefinition stage usually comes at the cost of other tasks on our plate. The analogy in that image is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spencer, I agree many times with the use of technology there is a stagnant point. There is either not enough time and many responsibilities. However, it is always important to reach benchmarks in order to push to the redefinition stage. It is difficult, but an important aspect of technology is learning the ins and outs for an effective learning and teaching environment. To have those answers is vital to students learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health and Social Media